Thank you for your interest in submitting news items and articles to Natural Awakenings, a healthy living, healthy planet magazine serving our local holistic community. Our collective mission with this free monthly magazine is to educate readers about the latest in natural health and green living.
Each month, we share pertinent global news and interviews with national experts. We also spotlight local people, exploring their natural healthy living activities and businesses. We welcome ideas for stories as well as local article submissions, some of which may qualify for one of our departments: Conscious Eating; Fit Body; Green Living; Healing Ways; Natural Pet; Healthy Kids; and Creative Expression.
General Natural Awakenings writer’s styling guidelines:
- Establish a strong lead paragraph and compelling close.
- Remember the five Ws: who, what, where, when and why.
- Write in third-person news style for briefs & most articles (them/they/those/people/attendees).
- Alternatively, for articles, use we/our/us. Avoid the less formal second-person ‘you’.
- Use a clear, logical order for content.
- Use action verbs (e.g., ABC offers; not ABC is offering).
- Use plain language and briefly define technical terms.
- Keep sentences and paragraphs short.
- Include short anecdotes or case studies to illustrate key points–then expand the focus to a wider context.
- Use strong, genuine quotes to aid in reader identification.
Add credibility with scientific studies, statistics and updates on trends.
- Single space after periods.
- Punctuation “inside” quotes.
- If your article has been published elsewhere, we are probably not interested.
- We focus on hope, healing, practical tips and benefits. Every reader wants to know how they can personally use and benefit from this information in their life journey.
- Attribute all medical or health claims and scientific study results; cite credible, authoritative sources. List additional resources in an italicized end note.
- We cannot guarantee publication and if accepted, we may not publish your piece immediately. If you would like us to hang onto the submission for future consideration, please let us know when submitting your article.
- We reserve the right to edit your original work to fit our magazine’s style.
All editorial content, new advertising agreements, ad changes, and Calendar and Natural Directory submissions must be received by the 5thof the month prior to publication (for instance: June 5th for a July issue).Submit Editorial Content Submit Event Content